Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Always trust the IRISH when it comes to TORNADEYS

I'm slightly stubborn and opinionated. Yeah, hard to believe right? ;) I have a hard time following "commands" given to me, especially when they come from my husband, who I will call IrishAl. Yesterday he sent me a command via text that I begrudgingly followed....only because I've lived in Oklahoma long enough to be scared enough. Let me explain.

We are in the beginning of May - tornado mating season. The changing winds and temperatures are the perfect mood music for tornadoes. A warm day interupted by a cute little front, set with a strong breeze, shaken, not stirred will inevitably result in the birth of a twister. Yesterday was one of those severe storm days.

I decided that I needed a Sonic coke. It's not too far away, relatively. It's a 13.5 minute drive, since we live in the Boonies. As I pulled up to the Sonic menu and rolled down the window, the wind whipped my hair around, stinging my fabulously sparkly blue eyes.....ok, I'm getting away with myself. It was windy. I could feel the air change. So I got my drink and took off!

During my drive home, I got an urgent text from Alan saying, "u need to get back to house NOW." The hair on my arms bristled up sharp, like porcupine quills. I thought, "don't tell me what to do!" But then my sense of self safety took over and I went straight home. But for the rest of the night, I had to get a dig in here and there as the storm barely blew on our house. Unfortunately for many people in the OKC area, the tornadoes dropped down wrecking their homes and killing at least 7 people. My sarcasm towards IrishAl soon turned into thankfulness, as I realized his need to protect me has always paid off in the past. New note to self - trust the Irish, not all of them, but mainly the one who lives in my house! Do you trust your spouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment